P.E.O. Pennsylvania State Chapter
Founded in 1869, the P.E.O. Sisterhood has grown to almost 250,000 women in chapters throughout the US and Canada. The gift of P.E.O. is a legacy from a group of young women. It is the gift of service and philanthropy, of friendship and love.
P.E.O. is a philanthropic organization where women celebrate the advancement of women; educate women through scholarships, grants, awards, loans, and the stewardship of Cottey College; and motivate women to achieve their highest aspirations. Membership comes with personal commitment and responsibility for promoting the educational purposes of our organization.
P.E.O. came to Pennsylvania in 1902 with the organization of Chapter A in New Castle. Other local chapters followed and on July 5, 1938 Pennsylvania State Chapter was organized. Today there are 81 Chapters in Pennsylvania with a membership of over 2,700 women.
To fulfill its mission of helping women pursue higher education, P.E.O. supports six International Philanthropic Projects. The P.E.O. Sisterhood owns and operates Cottey College for women in Nevada, Missouri. To learn more about P.E.O. International, Cottey College and our P.E.O. Philanthropies, follow the links at the top of this page.